Friday, October 24, 2008

Masked Bandits

Some big fucking rats paid us a visit last night. They're known as raccoons but, just like the squirrel, get 'em wet and they are nothing more than just really fat fucking rats. You are probably wondering why the cat food is outside...

We've been living in this house now for 7 weeks. We kept our cat, Cassinova (orange tabby), in the house for two weeks. He acclimated and we then let him loose. See, Cassi is an indoor/outdoor cat and was the best mouser ever. He was also very lovable and a wonderful companion for our little family.

Cassinova disappeared last Monday. At first we thought he was just on an adventure and would return but he never did. He could have been stolen. I took the opportunity to introduce myself to some more of my new neighbors and then inquired. They all said that they had seen him but before he disappeared. We're used to raccoons and so was he, but we fear that he just wasn't quite ready for this neighborhood. Raccoons are notorious pet killers. We know because we've gone through this before and so have most of my friends. Cute little fuckers but don't be fooled, they're killers, and I'm pretty sure this is the guilty party.

I left the cat food outside just in case Cassi would return and would find food. Now I know he's gone. The kids got a kick out of the raccoons because this is the closest they have ever been to them. Hell, just a piece of glass separating us from these little fuckity fucks. I explained to them that raccoons are wild animals, and I will not be leaving food outside ever again. They have now temporarily associated our property as a food source. They'll return this evening, and I'll probably video them. But no food. Soon enough, they won't return like this, except for their usual perimeter scouting.

R.I.P. Cassinova. I'm sorry buddy. This was my fault.

12 comments:

CharlieDelta said...

Dude, sorry to hear about Cassinova. It sucks to lose a pet. They become a part of the family. I had a badass cat named Soupie. I swear she was a dog trapped in a cat's body. She followed me everywhere I went, even across the street into the 7-11 on a beer run one time. Well, when I moved into the place I'm in now (right on a busy street), I would let her cruise around and run off the other cats, kill birds and lizzards and then one night she got hit by a car and I felt like an asshole about it for weeks. I know the pain well.

This first beer of the night is dedicated to Cassinova's life and the demise of those coon bastards!

kerrcarto said...

Sorry bout, Cassinova dude. Coons are some vicious bastards. But they are no match for a 12 gauge. RIP Cassinova I will drink a beer to you when I get off the anti-biotics. This SUCKS!

Anonymous said...

ty guy says
I have that same pix taken yesterday afternoon but 3 pm
a mother and youngen'
got a good shot and then raced outside and trapped the littlin' on the planter...took me on fiercly
let him drop down to the drive way below...mom raced off but came back a little later
one night I shot one with a crossman CO2 pellet gun from 15 feet...damn thing just scratched the pellet out of the pelt...

I am still trying for I have always wanted a Davy Crockett hat

PeggyU said...

Are you sure he's gone, Paul?

If you don't have any hard "evidence", I would take the flashlight around after dark and call for him. Going to send you something I found that I used when we lost our cat.

H2o said...

Sorry about your cat Paul. Go adopt one from the shelter. BTW... Your little girl is a doll.

Paul said...

Hey Peg, send me an email. I'll give you my address if that's what you're talking about. I actually have one more spot to check; one of my neighbors said that a serious cat house three doors down may have taken him. Low probability but worth a look-see.

h20, adoption is exactly what I was going to do next. And, thanks. She is a doll. My little sweetie sweetie.

PeggyU said...

Paul: The fact that you moved recently is somewhat encouraging to me. Cats don't take so kindly to moving, so he may be out and about nearby. I sent an email message. I think I have your email address, but if it comes back undeliverable I will send it again. Also, if you do not receive it, please let me know. Good luck with your search!!!

PeggyU said...

Oh ... and yes I know raccoons can be vicious, but our cats and the racoons steer clear of each other for some reason. Our patio pictures look just like yours ... the little thieves come right up and stare in the door at us.

Claudia said...

I'm so sorry, Paul. My little dog, Buddy, was killed in Texas in 5 seconds, running out of our huge yard, on a Thansgiving weekend, in 1963...I still miss him!

Don't give up hope. Cats are extremely resourceful and devoted. They often re-appeared after weeks of absence. But it will be nice for your sweet girl to get another one soon. All the best.

jackied said...

It sucks to lose a pet. Praying for peace for you and your children.

Claudia said...

Nice to finally see a decent photo of you, after all the questionable ones your so-called friends posted from the lurkers week-end. You're a handsome guy, and a great father!

From an old Canadian friend.

Paul said...

Thanks, Claudia!