Thursday, November 6, 2008

Click To Give

My best friend of 36 years lost his Mom to breast cancer in July last year. Donna was like a second Mother to me, and I loved her like my own. It was really hard to see what she had to go through in those difficult years. It was hard to see what her family was going through with her. It was hard wishing there was something I could do for her and her family's pain. Damn! There was nothing anyone could do but pray, and we did.

Donna kicked breast cancer's ass for 14 years despite the odds she faced. She had the support of her family and her church and she held on longer than anyone could've hoped. In July last year, she left us for a better life.

She was a loving person inside. To everyone. I can't even tell you how many friends she had. Donna didn't have an angry bone in her body. Why is it that the ones like Donna have to leave us so soon? I have all kinds of angry bones in my body and I'm still here. Nothing makes sense!

No matter how many chemo treatments she had to endure, no matter how much pain she was in, no matter how much she wanted to just let go, she fought on with a smile on her face and a positive attitude. She wasn't about to give up. She loved life! She loved people! Everyone.

Anyways, I got this email tonight and it brought back a lot of happy memories with Auntie Donna, so in my usual form, I got all teary eyed and had to write about it. I never really knew how much freestyle writing helped let things go until GGDF was born 6 months ago. After tonight, I never really knew how much I actually care.

The part that gets me is that when I started typing the title to this post, my phone rang and it was my best friend of 36 years calling just to say "what's up". No reason other to say "hi", talk some guns and politics, and to shoot the shit about meaningless crap. Well, I guess it wasn't too meaningless, 'cause I started this post two hours ago, and my eyes haven't stopped watering since I started.

I guess it's time to throttle down and pull the burnt chicken out of the oven before my smoke alarms go off. Wheelie and Bunker won't stop circling me for food either.

Please click here and then click again at the top. It's for a good cause and it won't take more than a minute of your time. You don't have to donate, you don't have to give an email address, you just have to give a shit. Thanks for listening.

Help them make their counter spin!

The Breast Cancer site is having trouble getting enough people to
click on their site daily to meet their quota of donating at least one
free mammogram a day to an underprivileged woman. It takes less
than a minute to go to their site and click on 'donating a mammogram'
for free (pink window in the middle).


Rest in peace Aunt Donna. I know I'll see you on the other side!

Photobucket

6 comments:

PeggyU said...

She has friendly eyes! I am sorry for your loss, Charlie!

CharlieDelta said...

Thanks PeggyU. She was a beautiful woman from the inside out, and she put up with three boys and a husband who didn't forget that he was still a boy at heart.

What a great sense of humor!

I wasn't there for it, but everytime we go camping, Uncle Dave tells the story of when she hosted Thanksgiving dinner one year and put a 'fart machine' in the turkey instead of stuffing. All the relatives were around the table when she pushed the button and turned all the women's faces red. I'm LMAO right now just thinking about the campfire story.

I can imagine she's up there right now looking down on us and laughing hysterically with her finger on the button...

jackied said...

Funny story, those are the best kind of memories. What a great smile - it is so genuine and warm.

kerrcarto said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
kerrcarto said...

I went over and clicked. I will try to make it a daily thing. Both of my grandparents on my dad's side died from cancer. It is a terrible thing to watch someone wither away like that. She looks like she was a fun and happy lady.

Claudia said...

What a great tribute to a woman of quality.

You have the gift of showing us the essence of a loved one in a few, moving words. It's so good to know that such people are real.

I lost a sister to cancer, years ago. Not much could be done then. I never forget to donate to the Canadian Association. Will try to reach USA.