Friday, April 17, 2009

Friday Night Fuck Yeah!

Headin’ to 29 Palms for a weekend of campin’, drinkin’, hikin’, shootin’, horse shoe throwin’ and the usual partying except this is finally going to be a relaxing weekend instead of being on border duties for once. Damn, I love the high desert! I haven’t been campin’ in 29 Palms in almost seven years. I wonder if I’ll even recognize the place when I drive in. It seems that each time I driven through Morongo Valley everything keeps changing. We’ve been camping just outside the Joshua Tree National Monument for going on 25 years now. I love it out there! I remember coming back from a Spring Break trip in ’91 as we were driving South through 29 Palms with Old Glory flying off of our trucks there was a busload of Marines heading North and I swear that entire busload was hanging out the windows and throwing fists in the air at us and clapping. Of course we threw the fists out the air back at ‘em and felt good for giving them a good home coming even though we were only 19 at the time and didn’t even know it was a military town. We were just on our way home from a week of camping and flying the flag proudly because that was during Gulf War I, and well, we’re proud Americans dammit!

Dad had always taught us respect for the military and our flag. Thank the good Lord above for him never letting me have liberal tendencies!

My brother and cousin have been there since Thursday late-afternoon (bastards) so I’ll be driving up myself and meeting them there. I would’ve liked to take yesterday off and caravan with ‘em but I’m saving my days off of work for the Sierra’s in June and Camp Blownstar in July. Priorities ya know?

Anyways, I got my gear staged and ready to load, so I’m gonna throw on some tunes, slam a few and hit the road. I should get there around midnight tonight if traffic is still like I remember it being years ago. Riverside County fucking sucks! At least I don’t have to look at the dump as I drive through since it’s gonna be dark. I think on the drive home Sunday, I’m going to take Hwy. 111 to I-8 West. The drive is so much more scenic and I haven’t been through there in a while. I’ll have my camera with me, so pictures will follow when I finally recover around Wednesday or so…

I’ll be crankin’ this on my drive to help pass the time. It usually does…



FUCK YEAH!

Have a great weekend everyone!

6 comments:

Paul said...

That's bad ass dude. Maybe sometime next year I can come down and go camping with you guys, too!

CharlieDelta said...

Fuck yeah Paul. That would be badass. You would fit right in with this motley crew.

I'm out the door. Later.

H2o said...

Have a good time! Don't drop the ice chest.

Grandpa-Old Soldier said...

Your old man did a good job on you and tought you right. Good on him. I was stationed in Riverside (March AFB) back in the day, and I know some of the routes you are talking about enjoy. Oh if you see any liberal asshats along the way run the down.

Holder said...

Shit, CD, you're right around the corner from my son!!! He is stationed at Twentynine Plams. Maybe you could check in on him for his mother...

kerrcarto said...

Have fun! Drink Beer.