Monday, June 29, 2009

Smokin Beer

I had to run to the grocery store to get some assundries for fajitas tonight (the kids have swim team practice and that means I get the house to myself for an hour tonight. I usually pound a couple beers and grill something so when they get home supper is ready) when I made it to the beer isle this was staring me in the face.


Mesquite smoked beer?
If it is any good (I haven't had a shiner product yet that I don't like) I will pick up a case and have my buddy at the liquor store hold it for me in his cooler along with the Shiner keg(s) for Blownstar.

I will advise.

UPDATE: It is very good. It is a Helles style lager with just a hint of Mesquite at the finish. It will go perfect with a smoked brisket. But what beer doesn't?

6 comments:

Jackie D said...

Picked some of that up week before last. I was like you when I saw it...smoked beer? It is great as a marinade.

Hammer said...

Interesting...Let us know.

kerrcarto said...

Yeah Jackie, I will have to try it on some chicken.

Hammer, it is very good. As I would expect from Shiner. It went great with the beef fajitas. I will procure some for blownstar.

CharlieDelta said...

I always like trying a new beer...

kerrcarto said...

Jackie, I read that they smoke the hops with mesquite instead of roasting them as usual. Hence the "smoked beer" terminology.

Jackie D said...

CD, I'll bring some of Fort Worth's Rahr to Blownstar for you to sample.

Not to start an argument, but IMHO, the BEST BEER EVER is in Kreuzberg, Germany. They don't export it, they don't even sell it outside of the monastery. Before the flying restrictions on liquid, I had a 3 liter bottle in each hand each time I flew back to the states.

...Not to mention that the monastery is on the top of a mountain, so the view from the biergarten ain't shabby.