Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Blast From The Past

This last weekend campin' was some of the best campin' I have done in a long time. There were no arguments, no rookie-firearms-handlers, no annoying kids, no BLM fucking with us, and the weather was some of the best that I can remember in a long time.

I've finally caught up on the emails and just came across one my (Uncle) Dave sent me over the weekend. I can't stop laughing at this shit...

The boys and I (even Donna) visited Tumco many times in the 80s and early 90s, when a Canadian company came in and strip-mined it. Now it's a state historical site, no more mines...no more camping...bummer. I guess we were fortunate to see it when we did. The Golden Queen was one of the best mines we ever explored. The pics were taken in 1986...Yaif' and CD were 14, Ron was 11, Beeez was 9( my editing) ...I was 36... HA!

Damn, I can't stop laughin'! These are some of the best memories I have as a kid, and I hope Nicholas and Brad have some of the same!






Uncle Dave, I can't thank you enough for the desert education. I've learned a lot since '86 and I can't thank you enough for it. We'll pass it on, and that's a promise...






















These dudes will too!


4 comments:

kerrcarto said...

Ah, childhood. I have some fond memories of days past and sometimes the memory gets stirred up in the weirdest way.

FHB said...

Cool!

Patriot Gretchen said...

who is the other boy?
Glad you blew shit up real good-like

CharlieDelta said...

PG-
The other kid is my good friend Dave's step-son, Brad. This kid had a real dirtbag of a father who verbally abused him, didn't spend much time with him, just partied with his friends and never taught him how to enjoy being a kid. I was really glad he got to come along on this trip. He learned firearm safety (first and foremost), learned how to help out with the desert "chores" (picking up trash left by the assholes before us), learned some respect & responsibility, how to get along with others, learned how to build a campfire, how to set up a tent, how to build shelter when it rained, and he learned how to have a good time without people nagging on him. His mom is a flamin' anti-gunner so that made it all that much more sweet that he learned marksmanship. He was a natural...