Thursday, June 24, 2010

Note To Self:

Don't check emails for a while. You should be asleep right now. It's gonna be a long-ass'd day today because links turned into links which turned into links and you're gonna be one tired residual drunk motherfucker today. (note to self? Check!)

All was good when I got home from work tonight until I opened my email. Just as I was ready to hit the sheets I got one from my best friend who sent me some pictures of us as kids when Uncle Dave first introduced us to the desert and the mine-exploring experience in '86.

Memories of those good times fueled my appetite for the infamous "one more beer" and the next thing I knew it was "one more beer", "one more beer", "one more beer" and the 18-pack was history and it was 04:00. I'm gonna show up to the pre-bid meeting in the morning smelling like I just came from a whorehouse sponsored by Budweiser. Oh well, I suppose that's just how it goes. It is what it is...

Anyways, he sent me this link to the Cargo Mine; one of our camping spots more than 20 years ago. I can remember climbing down the ladders, scaling ridges, dodging the "rabid" bats and having a great time as a kid, but these dudes have taken it to the next level. Awesome, but there's no fucking way! Just the pics of the shoring is enough to make me want to sit in my chair around the campfire these days and slug some brews and jam a few tunes. I explored that mine when I was 14 years old, scraped up my elbows and forehead, and inhaled lots of dust, but the only way you'll find me there again is when the SHTF. I'll be in there with a shitload of water, cases of MRE's, endless ammo, reliable friends, my dog, and my rifle.

This is me in '86 on my first desert trip visiting the Golden Queen at Tumco. Uncle Dave opened my eyes to a whole new world back then and I've been a desert rat ever since.


As a little booger eatin' mohoron back then, all I wanted to do was throw rocks, shoot my Marlin Mod. 60 and burn things. Uncle Dave always read up on the history of the place and tried teaching us about it. I didn't care back then, but it's really interesting to me these days.

If you're interested in the area, you can read up on it here.





Yes, I'm hammered. Yes, I have to be up in 2 1/2 hours. Yes, I'm fucked!

Yes this tune will help me sleep well. That's my note to self...

1 comment:

JihadGene said...

Uncle Dave's are great!!!