Friday, January 28, 2011

25 Years

I can't believe it has been 25 years since the Challenger exploded! I remember exactly where I was on that day. I was at Holy Cross Lutheran School eating lunch in Mr. Jeske's class, watching the liftoff on TV. I remember seeing the big explosion and the two booster rockets wildly shooting off in different directions. Mr. Jeske got up turned the TV off and sent us outside to play. He later explained to us what happened, and my parents and I watched Reagan's speech later that evening at home. To bad Ronny is dead and gone. We sure could use him in these troubling times.

At least he didn't throw a fucking pep rally to "mourn" them on the 30th.

3 comments:

CharlieDelta said...

I totally remember that day. I was in 8th grade and my 4th period teacher told us what happened. She rolled in the television and we watched the reports for the entire class. That night when I got home, I remember sitting around the TV with the folks and watching Reagan's speech, and it was a damn good one.

We definitely need a Reagan right now. Better yet, someone further right than Reagan was...

I can't believe that was 25 years ago.

JeremyR said...

I was on Patrol at Ft Riley KS. We did not have radios in our cars, but some of hte guys had personal ones in their brief cases. I pulled along side one who did and he was just sitting, staring in total shock. I asked him what was the matter, and he just said Challenger blew up.
I remember nothing of the rest of the day.

Claude said...

I remember that day very well. As a nurse, I was at work at the hospital. We had brought all mobile patients in a sitting room to watch the litoff. Families had rented small TVs for the rooms of our bed patients. We couldn't believe what we saw. Everybody cried. We had to go around to explain and comfort people. As always, President Reagan rose to the occasion. He was such a compassionate man. He understood the human soul. I loved him with all my heart.