Sunday, May 15, 2011

Prescription For Decompression

Well here it is two years later and I’m finally making it back to my favorite place in the world to spend time with Dad. In 2009 we took pops for Father’s Day, and we got there just in time to be eaten alive by the mosquito hatch. It didn’t matter how much Deet was in the repellant, those resilient little bastards feasted on us anyways. The fishing was okay that trip, but nothing to write home about. The highlight of that trip for me was surprising Dad with his new Henry rifle for Father’s Day. I still have to give my brother all of the credit for coming up with that idea. Dad was stoked, and it was just a great trip all around from start to finish. It’s one I’ll never forget.

We had plans to go again in 2010, but with me losing my job and my dad having a few issues to deal with, we didn’t make it. No one was more bummed than me, but here we are in 2011, and 2010 can suck my dick! This year, we’re going a month earlier hoping to beat the mosquito hatch. Opening Day is always early May, so hopefully the crowds from that will already be gone too. There’s nothing worse than heading to your favorite fishing hole on the Lower Owens and seeing wall to wall people taking 3times their limits of fish and leaving their trash behind. That shit really boils my blood, but it’s another topic I’ll have to write about from my jail cell after I’m arrested and charged with assault for punching those pricks in the head, and throwing them in the river.

We’ll be there for 5 full days this year, and with the amount of snow the Sierra’s got last year, I’m expecting some excellent trout fishing. I’m not sure which day, but one of the days we’re going to wake up before the sun comes up, head to the shooting range for a couple hours of fun and then put the trucks in 4-wheel drive and explore some new areas we’ve never been before. My brother printed out a few topographical maps, and we’ve been checking out some trails that lead to little remote lakes off the beaten path that are only accessible by 4x4. I doubt these lakes get fished often unless it’s by the locals that know of them, because there is no way in hell the average douchebag in his Escalade or Prius with his “Coexist” stickers would even try it, and that’s just fine by me. The less people the better. For all I care, we can spend an entire day off roadin’ and finding new spots. I’ll have a cooler full of beer in the back of my truck and the shitload of cd’s that I’ve burned for this trip in my cab. I don’t need much else to make for a fun day, but just in case I’ll have a few pinners pre-rolled for when the time is right. Too bad no one else in our group tokes, because out there it’s an entirely different mental decompression. It’s one that’s going to do me really good, and one that is long overdue.

No television, no computer, no cell phone, no traffic, no politics, no assholes, no bullshit! This trip is so long overdue for my mental health that I can’t even begin to explain it. My patience and tolerance for other people have all but vanished in the last year, and I’ve found myself lately stressing out about shit that I never used to stress about before. Stupid shit too. Blogging has been a great reliever of stress and anger for me just by writing it out of my system and moving on to the next task at hand, but even that hasn’t worked much for me lately. I find myself so pissed off by the time I’m done writing that I just delete the entire post, or instead post something simple and stupid and full of “fuck this” and “fuck that” which isn’t even worth posting, much less expecting someone to read and be entertained by.

Nah, this trip is exactly what the doctor prescribed for me to retain, regain, preserve and strengthen my mental health and overall sanity. I think just five days without having to look at, listen to, or even hear about cooncracker will contribute to 50% of my decompression by itself. Getting away from the daily rat race, slowing down, spending quality time with my dad, brother and some good friends, and fishing and camping in the beautiful and heavenly Sierra Nevada’s should take care of the rest. If not, nothing will.

Most of my grocery shopping is done, but there are a few things that I forgot to get when I was at the store yesterday so I’ll have to go back today. I can’t find the list I made of the stuff that I’m responsible for bringing for the group meals, so I’ve been winging it and just going off memory. As you may or may not know, my memory sucks, so I’ll be making another trip to the store today for a few packs of maple bacon, red onions, sandwich meat and corn on the cob. My brother would kick my ass if I would’ve forgotten the bacon. Hell, I would have to kick my own ass if I forgot the bacon!

Other than that, I’ll have all day today to find and dig out some camping gear that I haven’t seen since I moved to this place two years ago, clean my rifle, have a few beers, finish doing my laundry, have a few beers, stock the coolers, have a few beers, stage all of my gear, have a few beers, and methodically load my truck for the 400 mile mission northbound to heaven on earth. We’re meeting in Fallbrook Tuesday morning at 3am, so when I get home from work Monday night, all I have to do is load my firearms in the cab of my truck, suck down a 6-pack as fast as I can, and try to get a few hours of sleep before the alarm goes off at 2.

Yup, this is exactly what the doctor ordered. It reads right on the prescription, “Take With Plenty of Beer” and “Avoid Prolonged Exposure to Rat-Fuck Communist Liberal Douchebags”, so this is going to be an easy one to follow. At least for the next week it is…

See y’all when I get back.

6 comments:

kerrcarto said...

Have fun brother! Catch fish. drink beer, shoot guns, enjoy life. In that specific order.

Harper said...

That sounds like exactly what I need. It would be perfect if certain people could be used for target practice. Have a killer time, CD.

InsomniacSeeker said...

Enjoy yourself and your time with your Dad.

Sherry said...

Wow, have a fun trip, I'll wave as you go by me in San Marcos!

Bear said...

I'm jealous as hell. Have a great time, and throw some lead for me!

Claude said...

I'm so glad you're having this time off with family, doing what you love best. All the best! Can't wait to read your camping report...