Saturday, July 23, 2011

Neutral? Not Anymore. Welcome Aboard Dave!

I woke up this morning like most other day-off mornings wondering what I was going to do today. Something fun? Something productive? Laundry? Work around the house? Change my oil? Sure that's productive stuff that I could do, and at some point this weekend will need to get done, but none of that sounded good today. Until yesterday morning, I had planned on going to The American Finest Beer Festival at Jack Murphy Stadium this afternoon for a plethora of local micro brews and live music with some bands I've been wanting to see for a long time. I was really looking forward to pounding beers in the hot sun to some live music. Well, they cancelled the beer fest late Thursday night because of "financial issues". Financial issues? What the fuck kind of "financial issues" are they talking about that they just found out about one day before the beer fest kickoff? Whatever. The Rancho San Diego-Jamul Chamber of Commerce was in charge of this event, so that pretty much explains why there is no money to pay for it. Who would've thought? A local governmental agency doesn't know how to manage money? But I digress...

So I'm bored off my ass this morning looking for something fun to do and my good buddy Dave calls me to ask me some questions about getting a gun for home defense. This guy has never been anti-gun for the 20 years that I've known him, but he never really got into the whole firearm thing, and never felt the "need" for one. I've taken him shooting with us a few times to show him how fun it is, to give him some experience behind a firearm, and to try to plant the seed in his head. But it never really took. Or did it?

A couple days ago in the middle of the night some drunk kids hopped his fence into his backyard and were rummaging through his shit around 2am. His wife heard the noise and woke him up. He grabbed all he had, a baseball bat, and went to the back door and confronted them. He told them that he "already called the cops" and the kids took off. Sure, it was enough to scare them off, but it made him think twice about "not needing" a firearm at home. What if they would've had a gun? What if they both would have charged him at the same time? All of these thoughts went through his head all day the next day until BOOM.... he had an epiphany. He decided right then that he wanted to get a gun to have at home. To my surprise, he said that his wife was on board with the idea too. She too never felt the "need" to have a gun in the house. She just assumed that their two Boxer/Pit dogs would be all they needed, but those little bastards never even barked at the intruders once! Useless dogs if you ask me!

So Dave called me this morning and told me that he was buying a gun today, could spend up to $400, and wanted something his wife would be able to use too. He just wasn't sure what he should get, doesn't know a lot about firearms, and he wanted my opinion.

Right on Dave! Welcome aboard!

This one's a no brainer. Shotgun. The shotgun is the ultimate home defense weapon in this concrete jungle that we live in. Just about everybody knows the sound of the slide when chambering a round, and it can be scary if you're the bad guy. Someone trying to break into your house would shit their pants and high tail it out of there just hearing that sound alone. If that doesn't scare off the dumb son of a bitch, then he deserves every last buck shot that goes through his body. It's the original point and shoot! Dave agreed. He had his eyes on the Remington 870, which is a great shotgun. I've had mine for about 7 years, but didn't like it as much as the Mossberg 500 that I owned before it. I can't put my finger on why, but there's something I like about the Mossberg that the Remington doesn't have. I just don't know what it is.

Anyways, currently the 870 is going for about $380-$460 depending on where you look. When I bought mine 7-8 years ago I paid just under $300 out the door. I told Dave that if he liked mine, I would sell it to him what I paid for it and he could use the money he saved towards ammo., a gun safety class for his wife and teenage kids, or whatever. Even beer! He liked the sound of that, so this afternoon we went to the cool local gun dealer near my house and did the private party transfer. It only cost him $35 for the DROS and in 10 days he will officially be a law abiding, gun owning American Citizen. That always has a nice ring to it doesn't it? I am happy for Dave! Fuckin' right on!

So while he was filling out the DROS paperwork, I was looking at their selection of shotguns. I didn't expect them to have what I wanted until I saw the Mossberg 590A1. This is a fucking nice shotgun! It's a little more than I wanted to spend, but as the old adage goes; you get what you pay for. I was telling the guy behind the counter that I didn't want this 5 + 1 bullshit that most shotguns I've seen have. He said the 590A1 was a 5 + 1, but he could order me a longer magazine tube that would extend to the same length as the barrel. He said that it would give me 8 + 1. That sounds a lot better to me. SOLD!

So on August 2nd, my 10-day waiting period is up and I'll be picking up my new Mossberg and Dave will be picking up his new Remington. The drinks are on me that Tuesday. I am stoked that another of my friends has wisely decided to become a gun owning American Citizen. It only took 20 years, but the seeds that I planted are finally starting to sprout and I am pretty happy about that. Not that I needed a reason, but tonight is cause for celebration and many consumed beers. Maybe it was a good thing the beer fest was cancelled, because today's events wouldn't have been as glorious as they were today.

The 590A1 that I paid for today is basically like the one in this video, but I have the 20" barrell and extended magazine giving me a few more rounds before a reload is needed. I like how this guy mentions the location of the safety. Where it is on the gun may be insignificant to most people, but not to me. You can go from 'safe' to 'fire' without having to look and your thumb is usually resting right there anyways. In a firefight, a couple of seconds could be the difference between life and death and I wouldn't mind having a couple extra seconds on the other guy.



Now it's time for some massive beer consumption! Cheers!

10 comments:

CenTexTim said...

Way to go Dave!!! And good for you in helping him out.

I've got a variation of the Mossberg 500. Mine is a pistol-grip configuration, which is handy for either home defense or carrying while you're in the country, hiking, backpacking, etc.

http://www.mossberg.com/products/default.asp?id=28

It's a 5+1. However, you can get it with an 8-shot capacity as well. Either way, it makes me feel safer. And that's half the battle.

Now get Dave to join the NRA...

kerrcarto said...

You have to go to a gun dealer to sell a gun? Fuck me. Move your ass to Texas!

CharlieDelta said...

CenTexTim-
About Getting Dave to join the NRA? LOL! It took me 20 years to get him this far, asking that of him is like asking a democrat to tell the truth. He still rests somewhere in the middle on most everything else. He's not a political guy, but I can guarantee you that I have new seeds to plant when it comes to politics. Once he understands that the gun-grabbing left wants HIS shotgun, he might change his tune and come over to the right (in more ways than one) side.

He will be getting regular emails from me now highlighting various aspects of gun rights, who the gun-grabbers are, which party they belong to, and then some cool gun stuff in between so it's not a political overload. These seeds might take another 20 years to sprout, but I got another 20 in me I think?

Yeah kerrcarto, to be legal and legit someone with an FFL has to be the middle man for the transfer and DROS paperwork. They basically get $35 from the buyer to do the background check and file it with the State. Like it's any of the state's fucking business! Big Brother, brother. He's a growing boy!

JeremyR said...

Love my Mossies. 5+1 aint bad unless you plan on missing a lot. Or do you live in that bad a neighborhood? *headslap* you live in Mexifornia.

CenTexTim said...

I skipped over that part about gun dealers and 10-day waiting periods for private sales. It made my head hurt.

Here in God's country if I want to sell a gun to a neighbor I just do it. No paperwork and no waiting period. And since I have a Concealed Carry License, I've already passed the background check. So when I buy a new gun I just flash my CCL, fill out a few forms, and waltz out of the store with a big grin on my face.

Life is good down here...

jackjr said...

Good job! Life is easier here in AZ. too. Just flash the CCW and you are out the door in 10 minutes. Private sales OK too. I do the receipt thing to prove I sold it though.

CharlieDelta said...

Jeremy-
I don't plan on missing a lot. In fact, I don't plan on missing at all. 8 + 1 just means 3 more motherfuckers to hit the floor with a gaping chest wound before I have to reload. And yeah, I have the Mexifornia thing working against me so the extra 3 rounds could be huge! My neighborhood is infested with the little roaches on welfare with Section 8 housing, Escalades with spinny wheels, and wanna be chollo motherfuckers. It's gonna be like a gotdamn turkey shoot!

PeggyU said...

I have been trying to convince the family that we need a shotgun. Mostly, I just think we need some variety!

Bear said...

I have two 500A's on my rack at home... far and away my favorite firearm. I live in the sticks, so I don't use either of them for defense (just a .380 by the bed) but they are absolutely great to hunt with. They are durable, dependable guns, easy to use, easy to maintain, and best of all, made in the USA!

If I ever decide to keep one under the bed, a few bucks and a few hours will have it on par with your new acquisition.

My brother can keep his 870's... like you, they just don't have the same flavor as the Mossies do for me.

Bushwack said...

I used to own a lot of firearms and I think I had one of those too... Unfortunately all my guns were lost on a rafting trip.. damn the luck :-|