Monday, December 26, 2011

The Best $49.95 You'll Ever Spend...

Kerrcarto, Bear, and anyone else out there that has been wanting an AR-15, here is your opportunity to get the ball rolling. What better way to ring in the new year than by treating yourselves to one of these today at this insanely low price from Palmetto State Armory. Obviously building a rifle isn't something that most people want to do or know how to do, but I will tell you from experience after building nine of them, that each one was a fun build every time and by far the best models I have ever put together in my entire life. And for the record, they were all built with patience and beer, and all of them function flawlessly. It's pretty hard to fuck up building an AR-15. Overall cost varies depending on what you want, but all things the same, you can build one yourself for cheaper than buying one from the local gun shop. It's also rewarding and fun at the same time.

I bought my first stripped lower receiver at the Crossroads of the West show here in 2006 after I ran into a buddy of mine from work that told me about the booth selling them. Since then, I have built a second one for myself and seven others for friends of mine. When I got mine I paid $289.00 + $25.00 for the FFL transfer. It seemed reasonable at the time, but damn....$49.95?

Building the lower was a bit of a challenge for me the first time, because I didn't have the tools that are made to make it easy. I hadn't heard of them before, and I didn't know anyone that had put one together before, so I ended up losing a few springs and detents in the process before I ordered the tools (and lots of extra springs and detents.) Those of you that have put lowers together before know which springs and detents I'm talking about. Patience is needed for the lower assembly process, or you will not have a good time. And buy extra springs and detents. They're fucking cheap as hell, and you're gonna lose a few if you've never done it before. Trust me.

Anyways here it is almost six years, nine builds, and endless beers consumed later and lowers are going for $49.95. What a deal! I'm thinking about buying one for my dad even though he doesn't really want one. I loved putting models together as a little boy and now I love putting rifles together, so maybe I'll buy a third one for myself just because I can; and just because I know liberal pukes don't like it. I mean damn, for $49.95 I'd buy one just to use for a fucking paper weight.

Here is my first lower after installing the trigger kit and before I decided I wanted a different collapsible stock. I was waiting for my tax return to be deposited in my account before I could afford the upper that I wanted. I borrowed the magazine from a buddy of mine just so I could function check the magazine release and because it just looks so fuckin' scary to the liberal pussies out there.
This one on the right is the second lower that I built for myself. It has the trigger kit installed but I gave the stock I had for it to someone that couldn't pay for one at the time. I think I was waiting for my new stock to arrive in the mail, or maybe hadn't even ordered it yet. Doesn't matter. I got this lower in 2008 when my buddy Z-man finally got his shit together and decided that he should build himself an AR-15. I went to the gunshow with him and ended up buying another one for myself, which is a good thing as far as I am concerned. Fuck it. Why not?

Here we have mine after I received my Federal tax return and blew it all on the upper receiver and completely the rifle. I had been reading all about the gas piston system in these newer upper receivers and I read nothing but good things about them so I had to have one. Sure they cost more, but you get what you pay for most of the time. This particular upper is a POF 'Predator', 18" barrel with 7/1 twist. That was the most expensive component that I bought for this particular rifle, but I'm glad I did. After tax I think it was $1800 or so, but I work my ass off to afford myself little treats here and there, and this was one of em. The rear sight is a folding 'combat sight' from Troy Industries. That was $180.00. The holosight is an EOTech but I don't remember the model or name. It was a low-end model that cost around $250.00. Let's just say it's a piece of shit. It's basically on there for photo ops and nothing else, because I don't like those holosights very much. I'm pretty fucking good with iron sights, and if I want optics for my rifle, I'm going to invest in a nice laser range finding scope and some night vision once I have money again. The collapsible stock was around $70-$80. These are just ballpark numbers, since I don't remember exactly what I paid. I've bought a lot of different shit for a lot of different rifles and it's hard to remember all of it. When this rifle was all said and done, I paid somewhere from $2600-$3000 for it, but I didn't shop around much either. I found something and I bought it. I don't have the patience for shopping around. When I want something I don't want to have to wait for it, so I pay a little (or a lot?) more for the convenience of getting it right then and there. My buddy Jeff built his AR for a total of $700-$750, and he built himself a nice rifle. If you have the right connections and find deals like Palmetto's here, you can build your own AR-15 for under $600.00 and still have a rifle that's gonna drop zombies when the time comes.

What the fuck are you waiting for?

4 comments:

Bear said...

Damn son, you're tryin' to get me in trouble with my ol' lady, aren't ya?

I'd jump on this right now if I wasn't expecting a $300 bill from the processor for all the scrap deer meat I just took in, and after spending the last few weeks buying Christmas presents. If it's still the same price in a few weeks though, I might have to get myself an early birthday present.

Thanks for the heads-up... I bookmarked the page for future reference. Looks like they have everything I'd need to finish the project too.

JeremyR said...

My first kit was a total kit. Had to install the barrel, sights, even the forward assist. That was the most fun I ever had.

CharlieDelta said...

KR-
I have yet to build an upper but the day is getting near. I just don't have the cash right now to justify another project. I still need a barrel to complete my left-handed Stag Arms upper and then I will start reading up on the particulars.

Having never built an upper, any suggestions or input would be appreciated...

Mark@Bismarck said...

In for two! Gotta decide which way to go for the upper. It's gonna be NATO round for the first one and a flat top, but how long and what for sights?