Monday, December 12, 2011

Got Meat?

My buddy popped him a nice eight point whitetail this morning from his office chair (that's a pretty sweet deer blind) and called me up to check it out. He took it over to the taxidermist to cape out for him. He called me again from there and asked me if I wanted the meat. Well Fuck yeah I want the meat!! I just dropped the hind and front quarters off at the processor. So, in about a month I will have a freezer full of 15# smoked sausage, 15# pan sausage and 15# of hamburger. Unfortunately he kept the backstrap. Which is cool with me seeing as I am getting a shitload of meat for doing jack diddly shit.

6 comments:

CharlieDelta said...

Damn dude. Send some of that my way. I loves me some Bambi steaks...

But I have a stupid question to ask. Why is it going to be a whole month until you have the meat in your freezer?

CharlieDelta said...

Which reminds me of an old joke:

Q: What's the difference between a freezer and a faggot?

A: A freezer doesn't fart when you pull the meat out.

CenTexTim said...

From his office chair? Damn, I want to work where he does.

CD, I'll answer for kerrcarto. If I'm wrong I'm sure he'll correct me.

This time of year (the middle of deer season) most processors have a backlog. Plus it takes time to clean, bone, and grind the meat. And for sausage there's the added step of mixing it with seasoning and usually some other meat. (Venison is pretty lean, so it's often combined with pork, suet, or beef so it isn't too dry when it's cooked.) Finally, the link sausage has to be stuffed in casings and then smoked.

Like they say, once you pull the trigger the fun's over and the work begins.

kerrcarto said...

Ditto to what CenTex said, plus they have to smoke the sausage.

I would have processed it myself but, that is a pain in the ass I will willingly pay Bernhards $90 to do for me. Plus their sausage is the best in the Hill Country IMHO.

He is a home builder/jack of all trades and work is super slow right now, so like he said " I was just going to take the day off, but this nice buck walks into my yard..."

kerrcarto said...

Oh, that would be Bernhard's Meat Market

CharlieDelta said...

Ah yes, well that makes sense. I assumed that it took some time for processing of sausage and whatnot, but the steaks are an immediate reward yes?