Thursday, February 2, 2012

Back Home!!

Holy shit!! We fuckin' did it!! What a whirlwind! There aren't enough words to describe how happy I am to be back home in Texas!! I paid my tribute to Washington a couple of weeks ago on here so no need to do it again. But I will say...thanks for a great life but a better one is here. There's no place like home. :D

I still have unfinished business in Washington and will have to return in a couple of months. I was not able to transport my truck down to Texas and so I have to decide whether or not to sell it up there or drive it down. Just damn. I'm also turning my Seattle home into a rental and so I have some repairs to do on it prior. Loose ends...

15 years ago I left Texas engaged and have returned divorced with two kids. Obviously, I also brought some Seattle rain with us as promised. Several have already bitched me out for it but Hey!!! This place needs it!! West Texas looks like scorched earth and I'm not exaggerating. That whole region from Lubbock down to San Angelo is fucked. It was depressing driving through there. Here in San Antonio it's not as bad. North Texas is marginally better, according to my parents. A buddy of mine told me that the Texas Farmers Almanac suggests that the drought ends this year. Let's hope so. Damn!!

The road trip went smoothly. The hardest part was from Snoqualmie Pass all the way to the Tri-Cities in Washington. My average speed was about 20 in the mountains and about 40 in eastern Washington. It took nearly eight hours to drive across the state because of the ice. Our path then took us through Pendleton, OR to Twin Falls, ID; Salt Lake City, UT to Moab, UT; Cortez, CO to Farmington, NM; Albuquerque, NM to Clovis, NM; and Lubbock, TX to San Antonio. We left Tuesday afternoon and rolled into San Antonio early Saturday evening. Shit holes included Tremonton, UT, Monticello, UT and Lubbock, TX. Never ever ever stay at the Western Inn in Tremonton. Fuck the Western Inn in Tremonton. Tell all your friends and post it all over the Net. The highlight of the trip has to be Moab, UT. There are some seriously cool red canyons in Moab. Honorable mention goes to that really deep gorge in Twin Falls, ID that I'm certain I've seen in some movies. And honestly, that whole drive from about Price, Utah all the way to Albuquerque is really neat. Some of you motorcycle enthusiasts out there probably know what I'm talking about.

So far my little ones absolutely love it here. My daughter started her new school on Tuesday and my son on Wednesday. They've already made some friends in our neighborhood. Speaking of which, I've never seen so many kids in one neighborhood in my life. As we were driving into the neighborhood in our rental truck there was a pack of kids on bikes following us. LMAO!! This is a much more favorable place to raise a family compared to western Washington.

I love my new job. I've got a sweet office in downtown San Antonio and I think everything is going to work out just fine. Big Cheers! to one of our readers, Ed, who sold me his car earlier today. Thanks dude and we'll be tilting back some more cold ones soon! Drives like a champ!

Well it's getting late and I have a real job now. I just got Internet up tonight and wanted to hop on here for a minute.

Mother fuckin' TEXAS!!

10 comments:

Bear said...

Glad to hear you're back to the home fires... sounds like y'all had an awesome trip.

kerrcarto said...

Welcome home brother!! We will have to meet up for some suds very soon.

wildbill208 said...

Welcome home.

Fukitol said...

I'm glad to read that everything is working out for you and your family, Paul.

All the best, and I'm raising one right now to salute y'all.

CenTexTim said...

We don't call it God's Country for nothing ... welcome back.

Greg said...

Good for you, Pally!! You sound quite happy, and that makes me happy.

Harper said...

Can't wait to see you! Glad you made it safe. I think it is cool that your son will always have that road trip memory.

BTW, I had to read 'really deep gorge in Twin Falls' a couple of times to be sure you were talking about a landmark and not a truck stop prostitute.

Not a sunshine patriot said...

I live in Lubbock. It is suppose to rain this year. Told ya I had been to Seattle, damn beautiful compared to Lubbock!

Ed said...

I sorta hated to let the car go but glad it went to such a nice guy. Hope you get as much good use out of it as I did. Look forward to having some coldbeers with you.

rayvet said...

Paul, the comment about the neighborhood being packed with kids, will be the best thing you could have done for your kids. There's nothing like a neighborhood where the kids can run wild, go to each other's house and everyone is comfortable with that arrangment. I grew up that way in Jersey, and my daughter is experiencing the same thing here in Georgia. We have a trampoline, a hanging tire swing and all the Wii games one could want and just about every night I get home from work the kids (anywhere from 3 to 8) are hanging out at my house or one of the neighbors. It is a great way to grow up and I think it really helps the kids function in social situations better. Plus they all look out for one another which I have actually seen first hand.