Thursday, January 24, 2013

Top 10 Fighter Jet Low Passes...

I love these fly-by's. About 20 years ago I was camping with some friends in the desert near Yuma and we were blowing up 20 lb. propane tanks in the wee hours of the morning before the sun came up. After the last propane lit up the night sky, we were walking back to the campfire laughing about how huge the explosion was and then out of nowhere it sounded like another explosion went off.

BOOOOOOM!!!

It was pitch black out there so we didn't see a thing, but the only logical explanation that I could gather was that we got a low pass from one of the fighter jets flying sorties that night out of the Yuma Proving Grounds. The dude had probably been watching us the entire time from 30,000 feet and decided to let us know it. Needless to say, I came within an inch of soiling myself after that sonic boom...



7 comments:

Johan Galt said...

Have you seen or heard the jets when they do a combat takeoff?

JeremyR said...

I got a fine pass a couple of weeks ago from some A-10s training at Ft Riley. Lots of fun to watch.

CharlieDelta said...

Hell yeah I bet it was. The A-10 is my favorite of them all...

CharlieDelta said...

Johan-
I don't know why, but your comment was in with all the spam comments so I didn't see it earlier.

I lived just a few miles from MCAS Miramar for ten years and I heard plenty of them in that time. Not that I'm complaining. I actually miss the sound...

Danne said...

I had a P51 make a run at me on a lonely N AZ road (an airshow was going on nearby), even a low level pass by this old prop is enough to scare the shit outta ya.....major impressive!

kerrcarto said...

Our town has two F-16's fly in for Veterans Day every year and the flight path happens to be right over my house. They come in a couple hundred feet off the deck and even though I know that they are coming they scare the shit out of me every time

Bustednuckles said...

I had a single burner buzz through the middle of a tiny little town In Nebraska I was visiting twice.
He came in from behind me when I was walking downtown and all I heard was something that sounded like a giant vacuum cleaner until he hit the afterburner just over the top of me and went straight up.
I was staring into the biggest propane burner you can imagine and the pressure wave caused the dust to come off all the window sills and off the sidewalks.
Felt like a small earthquake and scared the living shit out of me because it came out of nowhere.